Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Playstation 3 slim 250gb
Ernest
Members
October 12, 2009 - 9:37 am
Forum Posts: 132
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

In my 25+ years of computer gaming it always has been my experience that the game sells the hardware.  Demon's Souls/PS3 is just more proof.  But so I'm waiting for the 250gb machine to be released to the US before I finally splurge for one.

Really the only thing that's kept me from loving consoles is the lack of keyboard.  I'm sure I'll get used to those controllers but I've just gotten so spoiled.

Plus I'm looking for a wired PS3 controller.  I'm no fella to wear tinfoil hats, but I have begun thinking about all the radio waves bouncing all around us.  Sure the frequencies exist whether we use them or not, but now that we're using them, especially given what I've read about brainwaves adjusting to mimic certain frequencies, the thought  is troublesome.

Not to mention having to buy batteries for the dumb things.

But there you go: want to cause me to ignore all caution signs and/or sacrifice my health for the sake of something new and different?  Simply release a new game that sounds neat.  I'd probably jump off a cliff for one of those.

Toger
Somewhere, out there...
Staff
October 12, 2009 - 10:14 am
Forum Posts: 1488

Rechargeable batteries are your friend. And you will get used to the controllers. I'm more comfortable with a controller in hand than the keyboard. Plus the controller doesn't irritate my repetitive stress syndrome as much... unless the game is endless button mashing.

Powered by PMS ™

Steerpike
Subtropical Southeastern Michigan
Admin
October 12, 2009 - 12:50 pm
Forum Posts: 3310

The PS3 controller charges via USB - at least, the one that comes with the system does. No place for batteries.

Demon's Souls is worth a PS3 purchase. I'm getting my ass handed to me in that game, but it's still worth it.

Life is the misery we endure between disappointments.

Ernest
Members
October 12, 2009 - 2:17 pm

Then I saw this, and my excuses pretty much melted away:

http://www.gamespot.com/featur.....index.html

Toger
Somewhere, out there...
Staff
October 15, 2009 - 6:05 pm
Forum Posts: 1488

Get your rubles, ducats or doubloons ready as the 250GB drops November 3, so says Joystiq for $349US.

Powered by PMS ™

Ernest
Members
October 22, 2009 - 8:09 pm

I finally splurged and bought the system.  If I ever play it enough I always can install a hard drive later.  I barely got out of the tutorial zone in Demon's Souls.  Not because it was that hard–of course it was the tutorial.  But just getting used to that controller is a pain.  I lost count of how many times I whacked and whacked at walls while dead guys were beating on me, causing that stupid controller to buzz while I circled the camera trying to comport myself like anything other than a drunk on roller skates.

This sort of was my problem with the PS2 also.  I got one of those for Shadow of the Colossus–but then couldn't get past the first colossus b/c I wasn't used to the controller.

I think the sad fact is that I just don't have the time to invest in games, either mentally or physically, like I used to.  Gaming addiction is for anyone other than me; between Ben and my job and my wife....I have to say I love games in theory.  But the reality is I just can't commit the chunks of time I'd need to get good at them.

Steerpike
Subtropical Southeastern Michigan
Admin
October 22, 2009 - 8:46 pm
Forum Posts: 3310

Congrats on your purchase, Ernest!

I love my PS3 and Demon's Souls. While the placement of thumb buttons on the controllers isn't ideal, I must admit that lengthy 360 playing would leave the hand-attached joint of my left index finger in agony. While that controller is much better generally in an ergonomic sense, hovering my left index over the left bumper caused genuine pain over time. 'tis not the case with the PS3 controller.

I think the sad fact is that I just don't have the time to invest in games, either mentally or physically, like I used to.  Gaming addiction is for anyone other than me; between Ben and my job and my wife….I have to say I love games in theory.  But the reality is I just can't commit the chunks of time I'd need to get good at them.

Dude, everyone here knows about the important things in life. Just give your games what time you can. And visit us often!

Life is the misery we endure between disappointments.

Forum Timezone: America/Detroit

Most Users Ever Online: 252

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Spike: 1187

Pokey: 894

Jarrod: 607

Finkbug: 468

Armand: 318

kaythomas: 307

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15030

Moderators: 18

Admins: 6

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 4

Topics: 816

Newest Members:

HoustonPulge, DayanaNow, Janehoats, Robertanage, Brianexarf, XXXIsr

Moderators: Jen: 631, Orb: 0, Scout: 1205, Toger: 1488, Yapette: 836, Dobralov: 17, xtal: 1685, Meho: 82, Tap-Repeatedly: 0, geggis: 1435, Lewis B: 214, Mat: 245, AJLange: 200, Dix: 483, Cheeta: 0, LewisB: 0, Amy Louise: 12, l0vetemper: 3

Administrators: admin: 2, MrLipid: 31, Steerpike: 3310, Helmut: 795, Synonamess Botch: 1127, heddhunter: 27