Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Metro 2033
Ernest
Members
September 19, 2010 - 8:52 am
Forum Posts: 132
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I just finished playing Metro 2033 and I was really impressed.  It reminded me a lot of the Half Life games (which of course is the highest possible praise).  Sure, stealth was broken, but I cured that just by massacring the enemy.  Otherwise, though, the story was really compelling, the AI seemed to work well, and I had a great, great time!

A rich, spooky, dystopian sci-fi masterpiece, if you ask me.  And surprisingly long!  Plus, even as long as it was, I found myself wishing it was longer, as it was just so fun to play.

I hope there's a sequel.

I fear that this'll be another game like Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts that'll be overlooked.  A real shame.

Steerpike
Subtropical Southeastern Michigan
Admin
September 19, 2010 - 12:24 pm
Forum Posts: 3310

Ernest, Metro 2034 has already been announced and is in development at 4A Games. It too will sort of follow the sequel to Glukhovsky's novel of the same name.

I'm playing through 2033 very slowly, but I've been really impressed with the style and art direction so far. Glad you enjoyed it!

Life is the misery we endure between disappointments.

Ernest
Members
September 19, 2010 - 9:12 pm

Steerpike said:

Ernest, Metro 2034 has already been announced and is in development at 4A Games. It too will sort of follow the sequel to Glukhovsky's novel of the same name.

I'm playing through 2033 very slowly, but I've been really impressed with the style and art direction so far. Glad you enjoyed it!

Awesome news about a sequel!  I played through it very slowly, too.  I repeated stuff.  Explored.  And just had a blast.  It's suprisingly thoughtful and sympathetic.

It encouraged me to read the novel, too.  Which actually is kind of a slog.  But I'll finish it.  I mean, if I can finish Iain Banks's novels, I can finish this one.  (FYI I love Banks's stuff; they're just all very slow reads.)

xtal
planet
Staff
September 20, 2010 - 10:20 am
Forum Posts: 1685

High praise indeed, Ernest.

It's one of many games I've started in 2010 but have yet to finish. I hope I will; there's just so much to do and...well...everyone knows how that ends.

If being wrong's a crime I'm serving forever

Ernest
Members
September 23, 2010 - 8:31 pm

I started playing it again on the really tough ranger setting, but the lack of a cursor seems very problematic.

I really wish they'd fixed stealth.  Which reminds me of that supposedly great mod someone did for the last Thief game. 

Ah Thief.  I miss it!  Maybe my all-time favorite series.

Pokey
California
Members
September 23, 2010 - 9:01 pm
Forum Posts: 894

I love Thief too. Did you ever play the fan missions? There are some really good ones.

I need to take a look at metro 2033 if it reminds you of Half Life.

Steerpike
Subtropical Southeastern Michigan
Admin
September 24, 2010 - 12:28 am
Forum Posts: 3310

Pokey, Metro 2033 is definitely worth your attention. Helmut's review captured everything I'd say about it. The art direction, the style, the sense of... I don't want to say creepiness, I don't want to say foreboding... there's a word, I just don't know it. Whatever that word is, Metro 2033 does it brilliantly.

Just be advised it's hard on a PC. You need some pretty serious computage to get a good frame rate out of it. But if you take the plunge, I'd love to hear your opinions!

Life is the misery we endure between disappointments.

Helmut
Admin
September 24, 2010 - 11:54 am
Forum Posts: 795

They have some sections where they do something I'm not sure I've seen done too often. You are travelling with a guide through some of the tunnels.  Somber music, wicked storyboarding, and a narrative that captures the absurd waste of mutual destruction in a way that's not preachy only seriously melancholic. The section with Khan was particularly well done. HL2 did this in Return to Ravenholm, but that was more comedic than this.

My Dark Souls single player sensibilities are protected by a +10 GfWL Firewall of Ineptitude

Pokey
California
Members
September 24, 2010 - 12:51 pm
Forum Posts: 894

It sounds good. I'll have to check the requirements. My computer is getting close to needing an upgrade.

Helmut
Admin
September 24, 2010 - 12:58 pm
Forum Posts: 795

My review rig was pretty old, although my graphics card was respectable. It was entirely playable for me on medium settings.

My Dark Souls single player sensibilities are protected by a +10 GfWL Firewall of Ineptitude

Ernest
Members
September 26, 2010 - 8:06 am

Helmut said:

The section with Khan was particularly well done. HL2 did this in Return to Ravenholm, but that was more comedic than this.

The section with Khan was TERRIFIC.  Though way too short, because it was so good. Plus in just a few simple moves they made Khan an incredibly interesting and sympathetic character.

And I believe the phrase Steerpike was looking for was "narrative tension".  No surprise he couldn't apply it to a game, as it's happened so few times in the history of computer gaming that it and "computer gaming" might as well be oxymorons.  And I do mean "moron", as it's moronic the number of times that developers have chosen bells and whistles over good writing.

And Pokey I did play a few fan missions, but it was so long ago....I remember one in particular that I downloaded and didn't play.  I don't remember what it was called, but it was supposedly as long as the regular game or some such.  Don't remember why I didn't finish it.  I may have gotten distracted by the birth of our son.

Forum Timezone: America/Detroit

Most Users Ever Online: 252

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Spike: 1187

Pokey: 894

Jarrod: 607

Finkbug: 468

Armand: 318

kaythomas: 307

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15021

Moderators: 18

Admins: 6

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 4

Topics: 816

Newest Members:

Larryged, KarenPaise, RicardoSeada, StevenTwils, FuriousReme, ChrisOmise

Moderators: Jen: 631, Orb: 0, Scout: 1205, Toger: 1488, Yapette: 836, Dobralov: 17, xtal: 1685, Meho: 82, Tap-Repeatedly: 0, geggis: 1435, Lewis B: 214, Mat: 245, AJLange: 200, Dix: 483, Cheeta: 0, LewisB: 0, Amy Louise: 12, l0vetemper: 3

Administrators: admin: 2, MrLipid: 31, Steerpike: 3310, Helmut: 795, Synonamess Botch: 1127, heddhunter: 27