Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Most Exciting Things from E3 2014?
Dix
Staff
June 12, 2014 - 3:03 pm
Forum Posts: 483
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So, what's gotten people psyched from E3 this year?

Obviously, there aren't a lot of surprises in a lot of the announcements - shooter, shooter, gritty shooter, thing that looks like a gritty shooter but maybe is in third person or something - and the usual franchises that need new trailers/announcements: Call of Duty, Battlefield, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and so on.

Although Uncharted 4 was definitely coming, seeing a trailer was pretty cool, and always gets me hopeful for the next one (although I have my doubts with some of Uncharted's major creatives having departed Naughty Dog, especially Amy Hennig).  And seeing a bit more gameplay from Batman: Arkham Knight never hurts.

But really, if I'm honest, so far, it's been Nintendo's offerings that get me the most excited.  Nintendo's games always just look fun to me, so much so that I always wish more devs would support Nintendo consoles so that I didn't invariably wait until the first party support was just SO strong I couldn't help it anymore.  But that's Nintendo's fault as much as anyone's.  Still, Yoshi's Woolly Worlds, the new Kirby, Zelda Wii U, and Splatoon just looks like it's born to be criminally underappreciated.

"Home is not a place.  It is wherever your passion takes you."

geggis
Staff
June 13, 2014 - 5:07 am
Forum Posts: 1435

I'll be honest, I've had my head in the sand with regards to E3 but from what I've seen and heard, it's looking more likely that I'll pick up a Wii U over a PS4 at this stage. I played Mario Kart 8 with a friend last week, a bit of ZombiU, Pikmin 3, that new 3D Mario game whatever it's called, and just missed out on The Wonderful 101. I'm definitely with you on:

"until the first party support was just SO strong I couldn't help it anymore"

That's kind of how I feel now. I enjoyed my time with the Wii but ultimately it was the 480p resolution that killed it for me. That sounds terrible I know but it just looked so damn blurry on anything but a really small TV and we don't having anything smaller than 32-40" in the house now. I'd love to be able to play 480p games at a properly scaled resolution with crisp edges, even if it's pixelated.

Dix
Staff
June 13, 2014 - 10:02 am

This has been the perennial problem with Nintendo consoles (though not so much their handhelds) since arguably the N64: for one reason or the other, usually Nintendo's almost fascistic rules for developing on their systems (especially in cartridge days), devs other than Nintendo struggle to find the necessary return on investment, and so they tend to sag considerably in third-party support.  This is true now more because of paradigm than technology: developing a multiplatform game is not trivial in the best of times, but at least if you're working with Xbox and PlayStation systems you essentially have the same controller and similar technical capabilities, whereas with the Wii and Wii U you'd essentially have to redesign the game's controls at the minimum.

Nintendo is just such a great developer of games, though, that it makes it almost heartbreaking.  Every Nintendo system has some of the best games of their respective generations, and those are almost always published by Nintendo if not outright developed by them.  And Nintendo's approach is so refreshingly original all the time - not with every game, but they always seem to have something new coming down the pike, these days mostly with Mario and Kirby - that it just makes me sad when I accept that a Wii U would gather dust 11 months out of the year, but be my favorite thing in the universe for that twelfth month.  That's how the Wii was, and the Gamecube too.

Anyway, I already suspected I'd get a Wii U eventually - I tend to get Nintendo consoles eventually - but this E3 looks to have given me the reasons I needed to finally decide this was definitely happening someday.

geggis
Staff
June 14, 2014 - 6:35 am

Splatoon really got me excited:

Yoshi's Yarn (as I call it) or 'Yoshi's Woolly World', looked adorable:

Wow, I hadn't seen the Kirby game! Looks fantastic!

Hnnngh. I bought a Vita last month for some indie games on the go, certain Vita games, PS+, and older titles on PSP and PS1 but the Wii U might be another purchase soon. I'm kind of wishing I'd held back on Rayman Legends now because the Wii U elements didn't translate very well to traditional controllers. Great game still but on Wii U I can imagine it working so much better.

Also, who knows what Retro are working on. I don't like to hope they're working on a Metroid game because I'm always glad to hear devs working on new IPs but... I hope they're working on a new Metroid. :-)

Dix
Staff
June 16, 2014 - 9:54 am

I'm also excited about YWW because it is clearly an attempt at recreating the awesome of Yoshi's Island on the SNES.  I know it's not the first time they've attempted such a thing, but still, I totally feel good about it this time.

And who can't be excited about Mario Maker?  Seriously?

Dix
Staff
June 16, 2014 - 12:43 pm

Meanwhile, Sony did get me kind of psyched by picking up Powers.  I'm not sure how I feel about Sony and Microsoft bringing exclusive shows to their consoles - seems like the streaming market just sprawls uselessly - but I really wanted to see this show when FX was developing it and I'm glad it will see the light of day, probably.

Synonamess Botch
Texas, y'all
Admin
June 18, 2014 - 9:21 am
Forum Posts: 1127

E3 sort of passed me by.  I don't usually pay a lot of attention anyway, but this time I was just too busy to even notice.  I did just watch the Uncharted 4 trailer.  Looks really good, but a PS4 is not in my future.  Or actually, I'll get one when Last Guardian comes out.  Oh right...

Rule #2: Double-tap

Steerpike
Subtropical Southeastern Michigan
Admin
June 18, 2014 - 10:58 am
Forum Posts: 3310

I was completely off the grid for this E3 and missed all the annouincements. It sounds like there are a few specific titles that definitely interest me - Uncharted 4 for sure - but we seem to be in a post-console lull as far as really big announcements.

Life is the misery we endure between disappointments.

Dix
Staff
June 18, 2014 - 2:20 pm

It's true, all the announcements this year were like, why should you buy a new console if you haven't already (and if you have, look what's coming for you!).  The only real peripheral/hardwarish things were Nintendo's little NFC figurines whose name I forget, the ones that are like Skylanders or Disney Infinity.

Steerpike
Subtropical Southeastern Michigan
Admin
June 18, 2014 - 6:21 pm
Forum Posts: 3310

Interestingly, by this time in the previous console generation I had already been given good reason to buy one of them - Dead Rising and Gears of War were worthy causes, I felt; only a few months would pass before Demon's Souls would come to the PS3 and would, along with Valkyria Chronicles, sell me on that platform as well.

Now, in a way that's pretty odd. I've been a PC-centric gamer since the Sega Genesis - it was my last console before the 360 and PS3 - so the fact that both platforms would get my attention no matter their exclusives was actually more of an outlier than anything else. I never saw it coming and I was surprised by it. But despite my well-documented technical issues with the 360, I really enjoyed my consoles, to the point where I was originally going to just buy a PS4 right out of the gate. But then I realized there wasn't anything I really wanted for it (yet), and that's always the best upgrade advice: buy when there's something you need it for.

I have little doubt that in the coming months we'll see something that'll push me over the edge for this generation as well. In a way it surprises me that I haven't. Uncharted 4 is close, but despite how awesome Naughty Dog's work always is, for some reason I never associate them with MUST. The world appears to be turning into a place where the PC is a console, and I'm okay with that too, but I'm interested to see what, if anything, might be my personal tipping point for the new hardware.

Life is the misery we endure between disappointments.

Dix
Staff
June 19, 2014 - 12:59 pm

I'm so entrenched in certain brands at this point (and happily so, I suppose) that it requires a bit of a shake-up for me to deviate.  I generally know I'll want a PlayStation any given generation right now - that's how I can safely justify having a PS4 already, although to be fair inFamous: Second Son and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes aren't things I'm SAD to have gotten to play already.  I know I'll want Naughty Dog's output, MGSV proper, and so on...and that generally Sony brings in enough variety (both with domestic stuff and a greater number of Japanese-developed titles relative to Xbox) that I find things to play at any given point.

Conversely, I've never found an exceptionally compelling reason to own an Xbox - I really like the Halo series a lot, but that's the only thing I feel like I'm missing in general.  Gears didn't impress me much - I prefer my cover shooting a little more limber, like Uncharted or Tomb Raider.  And I'm not a frequent online multiplayer gamer, which is definitely Xbox's primary audience now.

Nintendo's always the one that drags me in late, because I can't reliably assume, as I can with a PlayStation, that there'll be things to kill time with between the releases I really want.

geggis
Staff
July 4, 2014 - 3:32 pm

Dix, I bought a Wii U with Mario Kart 8 and I'm thinking of picking up Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 for the free game.

Forum Timezone: America/Detroit

Most Users Ever Online: 252

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Spike: 1187

Pokey: 894

Jarrod: 607

Finkbug: 468

Armand: 318

kaythomas: 307

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15027

Moderators: 18

Admins: 6

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 4

Topics: 816

Newest Members:

Robertanage, Brianexarf, XXXIsr, Martinjuisk, JamPat, GermanKerm

Moderators: Jen: 631, Orb: 0, Scout: 1205, Toger: 1488, Yapette: 836, Dobralov: 17, xtal: 1685, Meho: 82, Tap-Repeatedly: 0, geggis: 1435, Lewis B: 214, Mat: 245, AJLange: 200, Dix: 483, Cheeta: 0, LewisB: 0, Amy Louise: 12, l0vetemper: 3

Administrators: admin: 2, MrLipid: 31, Steerpike: 3310, Helmut: 795, Synonamess Botch: 1127, heddhunter: 27