Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Metro 2033
Helmut
Admin
March 26, 2010 - 10:57 am
Forum Posts: 795
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Anyone know how to change gasmasks prior to one expiring? I'm at the beginning of the Catacomb level and dying repeatedly with little or no control over the outcome. I'm forced to watch three FMV clips while trying to loot bodies and then I die, apparently because my character keeps taking off his gas mask the better to watch said FMV. Holding 'G' just puts on and removes the current gas mask.

My Dark Souls single player sensibilities are protected by a +10 GfWL Firewall of Ineptitude

Helmut
Admin
March 26, 2010 - 1:04 pm

Very interesting. Should be a good lesson in why it's imperative for developers not to grab the camera. Once you do you screw up normal expectations. In the above instance, I'm actually supposed to move during the cutscene. In another instance I get a cutscene when I fail to jump to a far river bank. Was I supposed to fail and get treated to this scene or did I just mess up the jump? Of course, it's 10 minutes since my last checkpoint so I'm not going to check.

My Dark Souls single player sensibilities are protected by a +10 GfWL Firewall of Ineptitude

Helmut
Admin
March 26, 2010 - 4:54 pm

Damn. Is no one else playing this game instead of working? This has turned into one of the most spectacular games I've played. Has anyone tried out the pneumatic guns yet? I'd like to preserve ammo but I'm loathe to give up my double barrel shotgun slot unless it offers a serious advantage (or at least minimal disadvantage). Nothing cleans those pesky jumping grey fanged things off your lapels like twin barrels up the frishnooo.

xtal
planet
Staff
March 26, 2010 - 6:48 pm
Forum Posts: 1685

I'm playing it, Helmut. I haven't had a chance to go back since my afternoon spent with it last weekend, but I hope to again this weekend.

I've been using the shotgun that carries 5 shells (or 6 if you exploit a glitch in the reloading) and it is really swell. It just about tears up anything in one shot, so rarely has it left my side. I don't think I've fired a single shot out of the AK-47 that poor chap handed over to me... so poor in fact, I even forget his name. Oh well!

I really like Metro so far, too. It is a shame that the term "linearity" has essentially become a sort of pejorative in video gaming, because it is one of the strengths in the tale that Metro aims to tell.

Let them eat cake in their "sandboxes," I say.

If being wrong's a crime I'm serving forever

Helmut
Admin
March 26, 2010 - 11:14 pm

The AK has good range and damage against human targets. I had that 5 slot shotgun but in a frenzy I must have switched back to the twin barrel weapon. Bourbon was his name, poor sod. In spots, it's even more stealthy than Thief what with the tripwires and glass traps. It is totally linear, I feel rushed all the time, I have incredible quick save withdrawal, and the game deliberately alternates between little glimpses of humanity on the edge and total suspense of the peeking-into-the-corner-of-the-monitor kind.

xtal
planet
Staff
March 27, 2010 - 11:44 am
Forum Posts: 1685

Helmut said: I have incredible quick save withdrawal

I suffer from this as well ... I don't like relying on checkpoints, especially in a first-person shooter as tense as this one.

My favourite parts so far have been the quick surface jaunts. Like you said, there is a feeling of being rushed and you hardly get to take a breath and take in the devastation of the city; instead always too busy pressing forward scrambling to find gas mask filters or a small safe corner that is free of radiation. Each time Artyom gulps a deep breath I want to do the same. I love it.

If being wrong's a crime I'm serving forever

Helmut
Admin
March 29, 2010 - 11:35 am

I made it to Polis last night, and was swiftly sent questing to the surface without much ado. Now in a massive library looking for information.  Very tough sledding at this point. Running all the time from unkillable enemies without having the foggiest notion where I'm going all while on the gas-mask clock.

Helmut
Admin
March 30, 2010 - 6:31 pm

Well. Finished. From Thursday PM to Monday PM. Not the best value for $50!

Steerpike
Subtropical Southeastern Michigan
Admin
July 9, 2010 - 8:02 am
Forum Posts: 3310

I finally got back into this after a long distraction of other games, so I started over. Just left Market - my first trip out to the city surface. I've got Bourbon with me and a severe shortage of bullets.

Question for you, Helmut: did you ever use the military-grade rounds as actual ammunition, or did you always hang onto them as money?

This game has some great art direction. Very tense, very creepy, and I love the cinematic gunfights.

Life is the misery we endure between disappointments.

Helmut
Admin
July 9, 2010 - 2:51 pm

Not knowing my way round the first time through, I kept them all for money. At some point during one playthrough or other towards the end of the game when it was obvious I wasn't doing more shopping I started using them. They are noticeably more powerful and yet not essential to use.

Spoiler:

If you remember your LOTR, there's a very pretty thing about 1/2 way through the game that is expensive, and again nice to have, but not essential. I bought it the first time through but couldn't afford it on subsequent plays so it is quite dear and your ability to generate money on the spot always seems very limited to me. Deciding not to spend money on things in shops is pretty much the only way to get this item. This isn't that much of a penalty, as everything you can buy in shops you will eventually find on the ground anyway.

Helmut
Admin
July 27, 2010 - 4:52 pm

Steerpike, you ever get through this?

Steerpike
Subtropical Southeastern Michigan
Admin
August 3, 2010 - 9:14 am
Forum Posts: 3310

Argh, no, I drifted off to Starcraft 2, but I think I'm going to get back to it tonight. I'm really, really impressed by the style and flavor of the game. It goes for a very realistic, almost brutal approach (reloading times, damage done by monsters, etc) but I haven't yet felt frustrated. And lord, but the art direction is something else.

Life is the misery we endure between disappointments.

Forum Timezone: America/Detroit

Most Users Ever Online: 252

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Spike: 1187

Pokey: 894

Jarrod: 607

Finkbug: 468

Armand: 318

kaythomas: 307

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15004

Moderators: 18

Admins: 6

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 4

Topics: 816

Newest Members:

DanaNow, MusicJarge, RaymondGar, lumsefoFese, GeorgeStuby, stewartsPlons

Moderators: Jen: 631, Orb: 0, Scout: 1205, Toger: 1488, Yapette: 836, Dobralov: 17, xtal: 1685, Meho: 82, Tap-Repeatedly: 0, geggis: 1435, Lewis B: 214, Mat: 245, AJLange: 200, Dix: 483, Cheeta: 0, LewisB: 0, Amy Louise: 12, l0vetemper: 3

Administrators: admin: 2, MrLipid: 31, Steerpike: 3310, Helmut: 795, Synonamess Botch: 1127, heddhunter: 27